Want to know if you're ready to bond with a soul mate? Answer the following questionnaire from Sheila Sharpe, Psychotherapist and author of The Ways We Love: A Developmental Approach to Treating Couples (Guilford). If you have difficulty with most of these questions — you may need counseling.
- Merge — get close for long periods without sex?
- Accept — let go of rigid characteristics, be open to diverse partners and possibilities?
- Give and receive — take a compliment, or graciously offer an extensive gift?
- Let go — are you controlling, or obsessed with being psycologically superior?
- Be a happy loser — are you always competing?
- Take second place — do you always have to come before the dog, his kids, his parents, and his job?
- Express anger appropriately — can you handle having your feelings hurt without giving in to an outburst or simmering with resentment?
- Touch — are you comfortable with your body? Able to touch and be touched, and be sexual?